New Client Special $120 for 4 hours of organizing
* Having multiple reusable grocery bags is not only popular, but a big bang for the buck.
* On an individual, or especially family level, saves multi-1000s of plastic ones.
* Reusables are sturdy, hold more, and heavy groceries, don't tear; strong handles, so easy to carry; long ones for over the shoulder.
* Cotton canvas bags eco‐friendly, very strong, and last for many years; plastic‐mix bags weaker, short life expectancy, and the plastic disposal problem.
* Paper bags are no solution; take 9X the energy to produce as plastic; create manufacturing waste; but can be re-used at store.
* Store reusables in car trunk or front seat; train yourself to take them inside.
* If you forget, go back and get them-- you’ll learn.
* Community water supplies have stricter standards than FDA regulations on bottled water.
* US has safest water supply in the world.
* #1 PETE bottles leach out multiple chemicals, not only BPA.
* Use filtered water instead; modern refrigerator water dispensers have built in replaceable filters.
* Replace paper coffee filters with mesh; use filter to avoid dregs; coffee has more body; compost coffee grounds.
* Skip the plastic K‐Cups; only bottoms are recyclable; other components, single use.
* Carry glass or steel-lined re-usable mugs; avoids hot contact with plastic; keep one in car.
* State “No utensils, please;” pass on plastic straws [these are starting to be phased out].
* Take only napkins that will be used; keep extras in the glove box.
* Keep a collapsible cup in your travel bag for hotels; frequent travelers can save 100s of plastic cups.
* Those who print infrequently can save lots of $$ by not buying quick-drying plastic cartridges.
* > 300 Mm cartridges disposed of every year; contain toxic ingredients; can be recycled.
* Download documents to flash drive, print cheaply at library, UPS store, or similar.
* PDFs supplanting hard copy printing and FAXing; consider an Adobe Acrobat Writer subscription.
* Buy ink pens with metal replacement cartridges and quality ink flow-- not a 36‐pack of non-recyclable BICS that ll promptly run out of ink.
* Use both sides of paper, crossing out the first page.
* Adobe PDF documents supplanting printing & FAXing hard copies; recommend annual subscription; great tech assist.
* See "Organizing Daily Mail" [under the "WHY GREEN BASICS" tab] to block incoming advertising and paper waste.
IN THE BATHROOM
* Don't overbuy personal care products; use up completely before opening new; decreases bathroom clutter.
* Avoid plastic pump bottles of hand soap; adds more plastic to the waste stream.
* Antibacterial; some chemicals, like triclosan, have been banned.
* Choose razors with replacement cartridges, not short‐lived disposables; 2 billion discarded each year in US.
* Missoula, MT just banned them completely.
* Electric shavers use fixed resources, long lived.